Thread: Bi-Polar Me
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sadlyme. Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with the meds. I wish it wasn't so hard to find the right mix. sigh

I am BP and my son is BP with psychosis. He has been on just about everything as well and he is finally getting some relief on his current meds, but he is still REALLY fragile. If his health or his sleep habits change, he is manic and halucinating. Maybe I can give you some of our experience to think over?

Ritalin was a very poor drug for my son. It caused his first psychotic episode at 11 years old. Wellbutrin also caused him to go into a dissassociative state for a month or so. He was doing and speaking but had no idea what he was doing or where he was.

Seroquel worked for him for a very long time. But he finally burnt it out and is now on Abilify. He is still taking Depakote, which works well, but he has to take a second mood stabilizer (Lamictal) because he was breaking through the highest dose of the Depakote.

He hasn't tried the other drugs you listed, but I tried Lexapro without a mood stablizer, and I had a rotten experience. Got manic-y.

Nobody is the same. Our bodies all react differently. So just think on some of the things I've said and please don't adjust your meds without your pdoc. I would feel so guilty.

I would just love to help you from my and my son's experiences. That's all.

Sunshine could help with the depression. We all seem to need a little more of it than other folks.