View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's really not how debilitating it is, but what you make of each day regardless of debilitation. On paper, I'm a wreck and probably shouldn't be alive. Pacemaker creates 70% of my heartbeats, open heart surgery (and 3 other heart surgeries), severe autonomic dysfunction requiring numerous medicines for daily function and pain is chronic and draining. Then of course, there is the side show of annoying Sjogren's symptoms and a blood clotting condition that produced 3 strokes (luckily smaller ones), numerous TIAs and too many superficial clots to be counted. But regardless of what's on paper, I continue to drive on. Sure, I have things I can no longer do, but trust me, you can find ways to accomplish most tasks. I use a cane for balance and must look at my feet when I walk (lack of proprioception), but I can still manage some work in my veggie garden...it just takes more time and a different approach. I can clean my house, cook meals, and enjoy short outings. Of course I have bad days, but it's to be expected and I don't allow them to depress me. I'm on SSDI since 1996 (I'm 48 now) so I don't work. But I strive to accomplish 'something' every day...regardless of project size. I have similar fine motor skill problems as you, but I'm sure you've found that difficult writing and handling of small objects doesn't stop your day.

You seem to have the right attitude...positive and being grateful for what you DO have, not what you've lost. As you know, there isn't effective treatment for ganglioneuropathy. It's all about symptom control as best you can. Even though we may share the same condition, we will progress at completely rates with different symptoms. So there is no way to gauge what your future will be like based upon what someone else experiences. Heck, I don't even try to imagine my own future. Just live for today and make the most of it.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (06-13-2012)