Thread: Cytochrome P450
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cytochrome P450

I've been reading about Cytochrome P450 pathways and may have actually found the cause of my neuropathy. Norvasc, Flovent inhaler and I think Albuterol are all metabolized in the CYP 3A4 pathway. Flovent can cause neuropathy by increasing eosinophils which are neurotoxic and can cause microvasculitis in the nerves. It causes Churgg Strauss if it is severe enough but I am getting the impression it regularly causes what they feel is a subclinical eosinophil increase with prolonged use. The literature says Norvasc can cause PN as a rare SE, I don't know how that works, it blocks the calcium channels and inhibits nerve impulses and does.....?

When I got PN I was on a relatively high dose of Norvasc and a higher dose of Flovent. Grapefruit and the cucurmin in tumeric both inhibit the enzyme that metabolizes the meds. There were a couple of vintage grapefruit crops during that time and I was eating around 6 per week at times, I like it for dessert and after dinner used the Flovent and took my Norvasc. Then I often ate MORE gfruit later for a snack. I was also making a couple of curries a week with tumeric and usually had some leftovers.

I think I'm probably one of the 7-10% of the population that doesn't metabolize very well anyhow and I possibly got toxic levels of the meds from this.

Any comments pro or con would be appreciated, I don't know for sure if I'm right (Do-it-yourself pharmacology...is that like do-it-yourself brain surgery? )

Statins are also metabolized through this path. There is quite a bit online about Cytochrome P450 in general and I wondered if any of it would be of use to other oeople in figuring out causes, possible triggers and what might help support pain relief. I'm a bazillion times better on no Norvasc and lower Flovent dose but I still have pain at times. Not sure at this point but I think grapefruit still might trigger it.

judi
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote