View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 04:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbie View Post
Also, do you know anything about the importance of positive EMG results to confirm a TOS diagnosis? A neurologist told me that "true" neurogenic TOS requires a positive EMG, however my EMG was negative so I'm not sure what to make of this. Some of the research I've read said EMG results aren't always a good indicator of TOS.
Parbie,

I have had a positive EMG/NCV for TOS nearly nine years ago. I remember that the MABC nerve along with several others showed significant problems. Despite this, I wouldn't worry about a positive or negative EMG/NCV result. Back then, my doctor told me that a positive result was extremely rare and it means the nerve damage is severe. I acquired TOS from a car accident but had an underlying bony abnormality. This bony abnormality is even rarer than the cervical rib (from what my doctors told me).

I am back dealing with TOS on the other side but this time I have the hypertrophic C7 transverse process. It's not considered a cervical rib because it doesn't actually touch the 1st rib. This time around, the doctors haven't ordered the EMG/NCV and I'm okay with this.
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
parbie (06-11-2012)