View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default AD

First off don't feel like you're alone, there are a lot of us out there who have developed AD because of procedures trying to help the TN.

I had a failed MVD and it increased the pain so dramatically the following month I had an RF. By then we found out that the MD had partially severed the TN nerve because he could not find any interaction with a blood vessel. The RF made my face feel numb but it was a deep numbness like putting your hand in a bucket of ice water and waiting for it to go numb..a painful numbness,, but it was better than the TN so I persevered.

I later learned that it was really AD but the treatment was the same as for the TN so I just moved on. I have a neurostimulator now as well,,the pain became uncontrollable after about a decade. It has changed my life,,well I have my life back.

Although there are no places where you are that are doing them yet (it's still experimental for TN) there is someplace in Colorado (BM probably knows where) I went to the Cleveland Clinic. The procedure will probably be approved in the next year or so, there are some great Doc's out there really fighting to get it approved.

If you have the opportunity to get on done PLEASE read the thread on PNS systems and do your homework,,don't be a guinea pig just because it become available!! There's a lot more to it that in looks.

I know that going to an out of state hospital can be costly,,it was for us but the balance was what was my health worth?? I borrowed airline miles and hotel points from family and friends and we went into (more) debt but it was worth every dime.

Alternative therapies can be the same because normally they will not be covered by medical insurance, where if you go to the right hospital insurance will usually approve a PNS system,,I got medicare to cover mine and they don't cover anything!!

So, don't loose hope,,there are a lot of us out there living with AD and managing..you are not alone. Are you taking enough vitamin B complex, vit D and something that has enough selenium?? They all help as does getting rid of aspartame, MSG, caffeine, sugars (if you can!!) and avoiding all tooth whitening toothpastes...they can all increase the pain...

Hope you can find the right MD, alternative or regular that can help you find someone or somewhere that can help...
Feel free to contact me if you would like more info on the PNS system and how it might help you...
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote