View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lauren

Ok basics for TN, first purchase the book "striking back" you may have to order it,,it's not a best seller except for TN patients!!

Second, get rid of aspartame, MSG, caffeine and as much sugar as possible. Also avoid all toothpaste with whiteners,,they make it worse. Start taking a good vitamin B complex as well as a multivitamin high in selenium. A good vitamin D with magnesium helps as well.

Third, get as much sleep as possible even if you have to take something, avoid stress (a joke I know) but helping to control stress can be done by learning to meditate or even just learning breathing control,,it will help you get through the rough times.

Invest in a few books on chronic pain and how to cope with it. One decent book is called,,,a husband, a wife and an illness and although she doesn't have TN chronic pain is chronic pain,,find a few that relate to couples and how to deal with it and then get your boyfriend to read them (the hardest part I know). There is some good stuff out there that may help him understand better what you are going through and help him deal with HIS feelings about it.

He's scared and angry and resentful,,if he's willing to be open about it some therapy that deals with families of chronic pain sufferers would probably be worthwhile....

OK, that;s the quick basics,,now for you. You're young but remember that infants can get this disorder so it's not that unusual. You have options,, there are surgical procedures and enough meds that you will most likely find a balance to maintain this for many years,,so don't look too far down the road. Take one day, one attack one moment at a time if you have to. You will live through this and you will be okay.. we have all been where you are and it's terrifying but we are all here talking to you so we made it and are making it every day,,you will too.

We are all here to help and if you want to private message or talk to somebody,,let me know. I've been doing support for TN for many years,,sometimes it helps to just talk to someone who understands where you are. Let us know, we are here to help. I remember the first time I met someone with TN it was an epiphany,,finally I wasn't alone.

Go to the TNA website ( I think it's now the facial pain website) and see if there is a group that is near you,,if so,,go to the meetings,,reach out and meet other people with TN,,for yourself,,you might find that you are no different than many other people there...

Don't be afraid of depression, be prepared for it. Chronic pain and chronic depression go together..get it treated. Don't add more emotional pain to what you already have,, this is a hard thing to face especially when the people you most need don't understand it,,or don't want to deal with it..

And keep coming back, let us know how you're doing. We are here for you and are interested in how you're doing... we really do care about you,,don't be afraid to ask for help,, Beth
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EE03 (06-11-2012)