View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboncal1972 View Post
i thought pain management is what is says
Unfortunately, it can get complicated. Some approaches to pain management include prescribing pain medications and some do not. Those that don't are sometimes referred to as Interventional Pain Management (IPM).
Quote:
Interventional pain management – Blocking of the body’s production and/or transmission of pain signals to the brain by use of a neurological procedure, nerve block, spinal cord stimulation, implantation of a drug delivery system, or injection of an anesthetic (NPEC 2006).
http://pain-topics.org/glossary/#i
There's nothing wrong with IPM. It's a good way to go at first, but it can also be confusing to patients who haven't received an adequate explanation of what's going on and why. It also seems a bit hypocritical to me that they won't prescribe pain medications, but they'll perform an invasive procedure and implant a pump that delivers the same medication.
(I'm avoiding the political issues here or I'll be up all night.)

The problem comes if/when the procedures that IPM doctors practice don't work for a patient (for whatever reason) and medication is the only avenue left. Instead of going that way, they just throw up their hands and... well... tell that patient left in pain to go someplace else. Cuss you very much (to those doctors).

It appears that you got caught between two doctors with different theories about pain management and the result was you got dumped. It happens. I'm guessing the guy didn't treat you all that well to begin with, but that's neither here nor there.

I think you need to call your neurologist/neurosurgeon (are they the same guy?) and let him and your PCP know what has happened. Your PCP may or may not take up the slack (prescribe) until you can research & decide about the surgery or find another pain management doc/clinic. I also think it would be a good idea to get copies of all your records, especially from the PM doctor.

If you want to pursue getting another PM doc/clinic, your other doctors may be able to help (recommend/refer you), or your insurance company may have some ideas (they have lists of the doctors who accept their insurance), or your local hospitals may have clinics, or there are articles and sites online that may help you in the search.
Google: finding a good pain management doctor

Whatever you decide, I think it's important that you move forward (I don't mean rushing into anything - develop a plan and pursue it) and let your doctors know that you are going to move forward. You may need time to do some homework and decide what the best course of action (surgery, no surgery, pain management) is for you. PLEASE don't rush into anything or let anyone bully you into anything you don't understand or are unsure about. You want to be as fully informed as possible; this is your body that you'll be in for the rest of your life - you want to do the right thing for it.

We'll be here.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MalindaK (07-20-2012)