View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi all. I've been doing some research looking for another physician that may be able to deal with my pain issue.

I looked at the directory from my insurance company and found a list of doctors that deal in "Pain Management."

I found a number listed in Philadelphia, Pa itself. I live in Jersey but can take a train and be in Philadelphia in about 1/2 hour. So it is convenient.

I found one doctor that is affiliated with a major teaching hospital in Philadelphia. Two of my other doctors are at the same location and it is a great hospital. So between their reputation and having been a patient there I am confident in the facility.

When I normally try and find a doctor I usually look for several things. First I usually do like a recommendation from someone else but when that is not possible I look at the following: I look at how long they have been around; who they are affiliated with; undergraduate work; medical school; fellowship etc.

This one doctor is listed under Anesthesioligy with interests in Pain Management. His interests revolve around spine related issues. As to undergraduate education he went to Yale; Medical School NYU Medical School and did his residency at the same hospital that he is now affiliated with.

On paper he looks good. I've run across some instances where on paper they look good and then meeting them it was another story.

What criteria do you all look forward when evaluating a physician. I know beyond the above I wont know till I meet them. And then it comes down to ability to listen; communicate etc.

Any opinions/suggestions. Thansk for listening.

Allan
pebblebeach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-12-2012)