View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Friend with PCS

Just wanted to add more thought on what a friend could do to help. I just remembered them. Are you noticing a common thread--that memory loss is prevelant?

I will tell you my experience, and it may or may not be the same for your friend. I struggle with people thinking I am well now, because the accident was five months ago. I look the same and sound the same MOST of the time.
However, tt does take longer to process new information or a lot of information at one time--like people talking to me when I am reading something, or my husband trying to talk to me when I am cooking dinner. People can't see inside my head to know that I am thinking and am unable to respond right away. They usually repeat what they said and then I have to start the thinking process all over again. I ask people to repeat things if needed. I have started saying " I need minute to think." It is very difficult for me to be consistent on this, but if I don't people think I did not hear them or am just being rude.

I also get words mixed up--like if I am looking at a table and I am talking about a chair, I will call the chair a table. A helpful thing for me is when people say--oh yeah, the chair, and just subtly help me out.

Last thing: it is tiring having to advocate for myself. So, if you can anticipate any problems ahead of time, and walk your friend through them, that is a big help. Like walking slower than you usually do, waiting longer for responses, helping your friend organize where his car keys, cell phone, papers etc. go. Maybe you could offer to pay the bills or read his mail to him. The thought of all that is overwhelming to me. It may look like a pile to you, but it is a mountain to me.

You are a great and patient friend.
lattesrus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote