Thread: c7 help
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
so i have some form of thoracic outlet syndrome even though i cant get an offical dx bc all my tests are normal, cervical mri, emg, ncv, etc

my shoulders are winged and ive been doing strengthening exercises for my serratus anterior. my hands have all been numb "slightly gloved" for two years now 24/7.

within the last two weeks ive noticed my middle finger is becoming considerably more numb than my other fingers. my physical therapist said my c7 transverse process was 'slightly big' i mentioned this to my doctor and she didnt take it seriously

so if you guys were me, what would you do

get a brachial plexus mri
ct scan
sitting cervical mri?

i am not a good candidate for any surgery bc i have ehlers danlos syndrome but id consider it if one of my tests showed an overt issue

Well, asking anyone here such a technical question about your health and potential surgical concerns is like asking a 1st grader to solve our nation's financial crisis.

But since you asked, your slightly large cervical TP is interesting in that if it were large enough it may have significance for your symptoms. I would ask about an MR neurogram. A CT would be useless as it is better suited for bony issues vs. MRI. Sitting MRI is still evolutionary and there is not enough normative data to really describe what is normal and what is not. Besides, the magnet is usually low Tesla (0.6T or so vs. 1.5 to 3.0T for conventioanl MRI) image quality is decreased and scan times are twice as long.

Another condsideration that you didn't mention is an arteriogram of the subclavian artery neutral and with abduction. Also, in concert with that would be a full neurodiagnostic work up; NCV, EMG and SSEP. Imaging is anatomic; neurodiagnostic or arteriography is physiologic. Physician wise, a thoracic surgeon trumps a neurosurgeon or orthopedist for your issues.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (06-13-2012)