View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Diego24

Diego24

I dont expect this to be a miracle cure. Disease-modifying ... YES ... a cure ... NO. 10 years ago a vaccine like this was already tested: http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articles/PMC28256...NEHAu230I0pv.0. The trial had to be stopped because 6 % of people got big troubles. Some of them even died. In the end 20 % of the people had no compliactions AND antibodies. Dementia was slowed down BUT in the latest days of their lives they died being very dement. So I guess these plaques do contribute to dementia but they are not the main cause of dementia. I don't understand why scientist pretend like this will be the big cure for Alzheimer. Is this in order for them to be able to get as much as patients possible for clinical trials ? Maybe a better cure would results from combining this vaccine with the ceregene gene therapy for AD; in case the clinical trials from ceregene prove to work of course.

I think (and also hope) the parkinson vaccine could be more promising as it was shown in computer simulations that misfolded a-synuclein attacks the neurons. Also, inserting misfolded a-synuclein in mice resulted in the mice developing parkinson as the a-synuclein started to attack the neurons of the mice. I also read today that this a-synuclein enters the neuron and blocks dopamine. Though I have my big questions mark about the vaccine also targeting non-harmful a-synuclein. Also, in combination with neurotrophic factors I think PD could be slowed down a lot. But of course, this is intuiton; nothing is proven yet. But I guess at least there is some good and not unrealistic hope.

Last edited by Diego24; 06-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote