View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, and welcome. You may or may not have MG, but if you do, this isn't an unusual way for it to start. I've heard this story a lot on this forum: a drooping eyelid sometimes for years that no one thought anything of, and then some double vision on and off. Some people never have anything but eye symptoms.

I'm glad you're going to a neurologist. He will give you a blood test for MG. If that comes back positive, it's all you need for a diagnosis. If it comes back negative, there's still a chance you have MG. He should then order a special nerve test called a Single Fiber EMG (SFEMG).

Please feel free to ask questions here! We've all been through the diagnosis process (some of us are still in it). It can be very emotionally stressful. We'd love to be able to help.

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiemon View Post
I apologize for just popping in here, but I've been doing some unfortunate internet research while I'm doing through some testing. About six months ago I developed double vision. At the time it was only first thing in the morning and again in the evening when I got tired. I'm 33, work full time and have three children, so being busy, I thought nothing of it as it cleared up as the day went on. About a week ago, the double vision got much more severe and lasts almost all day. I can see okay if I only use one eye and cover the other one. Driving was scarey and I'm now carpooling.

When I went into the eye doctor, the first thing he said was "You have a droopy eyelid!" I have on and off for years, only noticable when I"m tired. My husband jokingly calls it my "squinty eye"

No other symptoms really, I get tired but I drink a lot of coffee. During PMS I get exceptionally tired, but I can function.

The eye doctor did several tests on me and is referring me to a neurologist. I met with my PCP and she ordered some bloodwork to look for deficencies but nothing was found. I have an MRI tomorrow and a neurologist appointment on Monday.

Do people with MG have the droopy eyelid for awhile before diagnosis, or does it come on suddenly? Again, I'm sorry for just popping on here, just curious.
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote