View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The Thymectomy is just to remove the thymus and any thymic tissues. There are actual studies that show that removal of the thymus in patients WITHOUT a thymoma actually shows some great remissioin rates and even Complete remission as deemed by MGFA standards. I live in Chicago area, so there are some great teaching hospitals here...and they have some great doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Bell View Post
Hello Darci,

I am curious as to why you would need a thymectomy if you do not have a thymoma. I have experienced a thymectomy in 2009 but only after a CT scan and an MRI confirmed that I did have a very large thymoma which was attached to my lung sack on one side and my heart sack on the other. My AChR readings were normal.

I also think a PET scan would be in order - which is a scan they perform after you drink a dye that would show any cancer in the area.

I think a thymectomy is a very serious operation, especially when they go through your sternum (which is the operation that I had). What are they performing the operation for if not to remove a foreign body. If the object is to see what is there, there are other means of doing that that are not invasive.

I would question why they are in such a rush to perform a thymectomy.

Best of luck with the outcome.

Southern Bell
Icrad1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote