View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Parkinson's and Pain

As some of you may know as well as being the husband of a woman with PD, I am also a scientist/researcher. One of my research interests is in the area of Parkinson's and pain. My research team has gotten an NIH grant to study this problem and it is going along well. (We are trying to develop and test online, self management resources for people with PD and pain problems.)

Peggy from this forum has been quite helpful to us. She has done some research on this topic herself.

A question I have to the group is about minorities with PD. We are doing well in recruiting whites with PD for interviews, but it has been very tough to reach African Americans and other minority populations. Does anyone in this community have ideas about how we could reach these other populations?

It is my understanding from examining some of the research that often blacks are not diagnosed accurately and many don't ever even get dopamine therapy.

Any ideas or contacts that we could try to reach minority populations with Parkinson's?

Howard
1990nyboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote