View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Dtown,

Yea, the surgeon should have been more clear with his instructions. The idea was to keep the retainer in for the first 24 hours to help minimize the swelling and then take it out to wash it, brush your teeth, then put it back in until bedtime the second night. If on the first day the area had swelled while wearing the retainer and it was uncomfortable, then it should have come out.

You did the right thing by not forcing it back in the next morning. So now that the swelling is down, it would be a good idea to try and wear the retainer during the day and take it out at bedtime. If it becomes too uncomfortable or you feel that it is pressing too much on those surgical areas, then take it out and go back for him to adjust it.

Glad you're feeling better!!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTown View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks so much for your help!! The surgeon said to wear the retainer after surgery bc of the swelling but take it out when I went to sleep. I did exactly as instructed but woke up the next morning and it was painful to put the retainer back in so I havent worn it in a couple days. But good news, woke up this morning and it looks as though my gums have healed around the openings and the membrane no longer is showing... Think i might try to wear my retainer today! yeppy!!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote