View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My MG was diagnosed at the age of 31 and am now 70. Diagnosis took over a year because medicine is indeed a practice. One Dr. diagnosed me as having contracted botulism. Started out with Mestinon, then, after a number of years we tried predisone for 4 years. This was a complete disaster. Terible mood swings and astounding weight gain, and not much improvement in the MG symtoms. Then I tried Imuran, and concluded that the long term side effects were worse than MG.
I had a pair of glasses with a ptosis ladder attached which would hold open my eyelids and used tears to prevent dry eye but that solution left much to be desired.
I learned to do many things with one eye closed, thus eliminating the eye patch or the opaque lens in glasses.
Much of the double vision was temporary rectified with stick on prisoms which are available in varying strengths. This solution should be presented to your opthamologist. After finding the prisoms that solved most of the double vision problems the lenses in my glasses were changed and the prisom ground into the lens.
Then the ptosis. After about 35 years my neurologist suggested that we again visit the eyelid elevation again. After finding a opthomologic plastic surgeon one my left eyelid was modified. It was the best thing I could have done. The right eye was done 2 months later and now my eyes look almost normal, but one will droop a bit if I get really tired. They used to be almost closed at times.
So am sticking to my Mestinon, at times Mestinon Timespan, and hopefully no more experminentation. This seems to be the best I could do im my situation.
harryh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
suev (06-18-2012)