View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just wanted to come back and update. We finally had the appointment this morning with the pediatric neurologist. We went in expecting to have his tests redone and wanted to find an alternative medication for the neurontin.

He reviewed the tests, asked some questions, and pretty much said that the results all looked normal to him on the EEG and MRI. He said the other neurologist has many years of general experience, but not in the pediatric area- he said that the MRI films of the brain look normal, that they might be a little slower growth than average but that there was nothing wrong on it. BIG change from what we were told previously... that the left portions were underdeveloped and causing these issues. Today we were told to take him off the medication, and that if he is still having the tics it's nothing to be really concerned with. As long as it isn't bothering him, leave it alone. He may outgrow it and may not. The doctor also suspected some anxiety issues and tendencies of OCD, which he seemed to think were all common together.

We are going to get him off the medication, which will hopefully solve a lot of the behavioral issues that arose while he was on it, and see how it goes from there. This neurologist said he didn't think we needed to come back, but were welcome to, and even wrote down his email address and a few suggestions of reading materials. I wish it hadn't taken seven months for us to get this appointment. I am upset that we were so mislead. There is a huge difference in one neurologist telling us that his brain is not developed and may never be, that he will probably always be on the medication, etc., and hearing today that there's really nothing too abnormal going on. The first neuro told us upfront that he didn't usually deal with children, and recommended a pediatric visit as well (just didn't think it would take so long), but it seems to me if he's so inexperienced in reading children's test results, that he'd be a little more wary of giving such a diagnosis. Anyway, we are pleased with the good news and now it's just a watch-and-see thing. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond.
roxyblue722 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-21-2012), mrsD (06-27-2012)