View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi cboncal,

I've been following this thread, and I'm in agreement with Ginnie.

If it turns out (whether you get the myeloscopy or not) that surgery is ruled out, then IMO pain management is your next best option. In some cases it may be preferable to surgery anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboncal1972 View Post
What are the best ?s i should be asking my new pain managment doctor.
Google: questions to ask pain management

Quote:
i have very back head aches and there is a muscle spasm so bad at the base of my neck so bad it is bulging pretty far out now and i have been doing heat but it doesnt help.
I also have multi-level cervical issues deemed inoperative. I get the same headaches & muscle spasms. Some of the spasming is due to the stenosis, and some is due to the inflamation of the arthritis. One thing that my PM doctor sent me for was myofascial trigger point therapy, done by a CERTIFIED MTP Therapist (NOT a PT, chiro, or other massage therapist who claim they know the same stuff). It has done wonders for both my neck and other difficult muscle-related pain issues. In addition, I've had to strengthen my neck muscles, learn how to relax them (as much as I can), and re-learn some posture techniques and how to sleep to avoid strain on my neck.

I don't believe in recommending/suggesting specific pain medications, even in a peer-support capacity. I think that's best left between doctor and patient because not everything works the same for everyone, and there are many factors/medical issues to consider.

Your PM doctor may prescribe a muscle relaxer or anti-spasmodic along with a pain medication. Please be aware that if patients don't specifically tell their doctors that something isn't working, the doctor may not ask; they will assume that everything is ok/working, so speak up and be specific. There are many many medications in each of these classes, and while extreme care must be taken when using them, if one or more don't work, there are others that may be tried. It can take time and trials to find the right pain management formula (whether medication, other, or combined therapies) for each individual. Moral: Hang in there.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-21-2012), ginnie (06-20-2012)