View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Since surgery I cry aLL the time!!

I am a 36 y/o ICU nurse originally diagnosed in 2004 with pseudo tumor cerebri. My original opening pressure on my first spinal tap was 45! I was sent for an MRI which my chiari malformation was originally found. They originally hung down past the brain stem by 9 mm. I have suffered headaches I say my entire life because it is as long as I can remember. I was placed on two separate medications to help lower my spinal pressures, both which failed. I ended up having 5 spinal taps in 3 months to help with the headaches. The final decision was to place a VP Shunt to drain the spinal fluid for me. I had my first VP surgery in Jan 04. Since then I have had to have it revised 8 times. Last oct out of the blue I had a seizure, which my 16 y/o found me down on the living room floor. This led to a new neurologist and and MRI, which I have not been able to have because of my shunt being magnet. It was found then that my chiari had advanced to 14mm. I then seeked adviced from a new neuroserogeon, and he recommend having decompression surgery. I had been thru a lot and felt this would be the same! Well I was very wrong, my neuroserogeon warned me it would be difficult but I felt tough enough! The surgery was almost 4 hrs and the pain after was more than I can even put into words! I was completely unable to tolerate moving my head, I just had no range of motion. I left the hospital on the 3rd day, and found my most difficult task was trying to sleep. I was just unable to tolerate any pressure or touching to my scalp at all! I couldnt sleep for more than 2 hrs at a time, with pain meds on board. And let me say I have a very high pain tolerance. But here I am almost 1 month after a very painful surgery, sleeping much better and most importantly HEADACHE FREE and my only complaint is I cry at every thing! Is anyone else experiencing that?
Porterj69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote