View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default I've used Depakote a long time.

Dear Pam

fwiw i've taken Depakote for about 7 years now and haven't had any major problems with it other than a bit of dulling at higher doses when they weren't required. I take the original brand. Mine is extended release (24 hour formulation) and enteric-coated.

my typical maintenance dose is 800 mg. i've had to go as high as 1500 to medicate mania. (that's not when i had the cognitive dulling roflolol i was anything but dull.)

I've not had any weight gain or hair loss from it. Hair loss can be prevented or, if it should happen, counteracted, by taking zinc and selenium supplements along with the vitamins that complement them. L-carnitine is also recommended because it is depleted by Depakote. I do not take that but I am considering it because I don't really get a lot of red meat which is a natural source. There is some evidence that folate absorption is somewhat impaired by Depakote, and i was found to be folate-deficient, so i'd recommend taking a supplement. I only take 200mcg and that fixed it but it will vary from person to person.

I wish you well on it. it does act fairly quickly and it has helped me a lot.

-------------------

I sympathize about the nailpolish and the writing as i have been stripped of all my hobbies by my current conditions. i really hope that in the new house you will be able to find an arrangement for polishing - perhaps a very well-aired room - or if there are two bathrooms... one with a window or suction vent. lots of possibilities. so just cross that bridge when you come to it.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (07-04-2012), bizi (06-23-2012), BlueMajo (06-22-2012), Dmom3005 (06-21-2012), ginnie (07-07-2012), MaineMom84 (06-28-2012), Mari (07-04-2012)