View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anxiety causing neurological symptoms

I want to raise this question because my condition is consuming me. With my recent lung problems, it really has boxed me against the wall.

Can anxiety cause neurological symptoms that mimick exactly like PN symptoms? I have read a lot of articles related to my question but only vague pieces of the puzzle come up, e.g. unexplained body aches, disturbed sleep patterns, sensation like insects crawling on the skin, etc. but nothing that could at least approximate my symptoms.

One of the concerns of one of our posters (sorry, I dont remember the name) was convincing his doctor for another skin biopsy. I am on the same boat, my doctor has informed me that with the negative skin biopsy, he will not give any further tests (he thinks that I have maximized all tests). Anyway, as my way of getting across my message, I sent him a note on some questions about possibility of non-length dependent damage on the DRG and Anti-Mag. He was kind enough to call me about my inquiries. He thinks my condition cannot be associated with either damage on the DRG or Anti-Mag. First, I dont show abnormalities in my EMG/NCV that can be associated with anti-mag and second, with non-length dependent, though symptoms can be patchy and sensory, but it will still reflect abnormalities in the skin biopsy. It was a reassuring statement.
He avoid commenting about the lung condition because he is not a pulmonologist, however, he said that if my doctor is looking for auto-immune disorders thats causing the restriction in my lungs, it would have shown in my earlier auto-immune tests. Even with Sjorgren's, he said that, may be in some cases that results are sero-negative but positive, but this will somehow appears on my earlier ANA Comprehensive Panel.

He said that my symptoms (and what I think to be progressive) are not consistent with the findings. It would seem that my symptoms and the objective findings are disconnected. So, he suggested if I would consider a different approach in my treatment. He cautiously said that his suggestion is not brushing me off but to consider another option. He recommended that I see a psychiatrist. He said that I may have some anxieties that I am not aware of and these can manifest as neurological symptoms like mine.

Personally, I am not really aware of any serious anxieties that can result to my severe pain but I am open to all options, whatever it takes to help me. I just dont want to be overloaded with medicines which should not have been taken if properly evaluated.

I really would appreciate your inputs in my predicament.

Thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote