View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Becdedo,

No, you are not an isolated case at all and your view is not skewed by any means. If I had a nickel for every dental patient that I know to have experienced your exact situation...... no lie, I'd be a millionaire. That's how common this is. Does that make it okay to (mis)treat people this way... absolutely not.

I think you may be running into roadblocks for a few reasons:

1) You have to emphatically state that you want this tooth removed and you are not willing to treat it any further. This statement would be interpreted as a definitive decision from you and show that you are not willing to let anyone talk you into any further nonsense.

2) Finances are a huge issue in dentistry. Dental fees for most procedures have become unaffordable for many people and it can be a temporary hardship when you are in need of emergency treatment. However, when you seek cheaper treatment at a clinic or school, you need to be careful that you are not taken advantage of and that the treatment is not inferior.

3) If you are not an established patient of a particular practice.... and this goes for not having a referral from a dentist to an oral surgeon.... the worst thing you can do is ask the surgeon for a financial break in the fee or if you can make a partial payment and pay the rest at another time. The office assumes they will never see the rest of the money and that's because they have been burned many times.

In your case, your surgery is going to be complicated. You need a reputable oral surgeon and unless you are willing to pay his fee at the time of service, you are going to have a hard time finding a good one. I don't agree with this way of doing business... I believe everyone is entitled to honest, quality dental care. But that is not how the dental profession works.... not by a long shot.

I cannot emphasize enough that you should not wait to seek care of this problem. The new swelling under the eye is indicative of advanced inflammation... this is going to get worse, not better. Waiting until you have dental insurance may not be in your best interest. Please reconsider.

I wish you the best of outcomes....

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becdedo View Post
Thanks for your Reply Bryanna. I know the oral surgeon and the second dentist I saw this week both said that the roots sit right under the sinus cavity and that is why when one acts up the other soon follows. I have been begging to have the tooth pulled but haven't found anyone willing to do it for me because, "its a good tooth, we can save it." To which I usually reply, "I don't think it wants to be saved. Lets put it and me out of our misery and just pull it." It's reassuring to have my gut feeling backed up and hear that if I go for root canal #3 I'll just be prolonging the infections and pain. I have been trying to find someone who will set up some sort of payment arrangement with me so I can get the work done but so far no luck. I am starting a new job with dental insurance so hopefully I can get the work done soon. I did notice today that the pain and swelling are better overall, however I've developed a round lump under my eye on my cheekbone. It's warm and painful to the touch. I had cellulitis in my leg after a spider bite several years ago and it reminds me of that. I'll keep up with my search for someone to take out the tooth and thanks again! While it makes me feel less alone to see so many others having the type of problems, it seems to also say something about how the dental industry in the US pushes for more expensive, less effective treatment. Or maybe it's just me and the bad experiences I've had coloring my view.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote