View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I wonder in reading this history if your husband was given antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family, or Flagyl? (there are others also less commonly used like Zyvox and Tindamax).

Fluoroquinolones can cause tendon damage and ruptures. The ruptures may occur up to a year or more after use of the drugs.
This family of drugs are also neurotoxic and can cause peripheral nerve damage and in the elderly can affect the CNS as well.
This is thought to be permanent, but Dr. Jay Cohen, MD thinks some supplements may work for it.

There are suggestions that use of steroids and/or NSAIDs with fluroquinolones may make the reactions worse.

The mechanism of this damage is not understood clearly yet.
Thanks for the reply! I went through his script history and found that for at least 4 days approximately 5 months before onset, he did take Levaquin and Medrol (methylprednisone). I remember he asked the doctor to switch him to a different antibiotic, but I can't remember right off why (we weren't married or living together). I'll ask him. Then about 2 months later, he was on Cipro drops for what the doctor said was an outer ear infection. I looked at your link and for the last hour have been searching around the internet... his symptoms all fall within what other people have reported as adverse reactions, and it makes sense that prednisone alone helps this condition. We will definitely look into this possibility more.
medtchva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-23-2012)