View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Allan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach2 View Post
How does everyone handle the pain when it is there everyday?
We adapt. We do what we have to do. A lot revolves around distraction -- keeping the mind occupied and focused on things other than pain. It can be exhausting. A lot also has to do with attitude (even faked/forced). Not allowing myself to become a victim, reducing stress, setting reasonable goals and prioritizing (and when things go to pot, reassessing and reprioritizing), making sure I seek out and do things that create joy, socialize (but leave pain-talk for here or very special people who understand, because most normies don't), laugh as much as I can -- at least 20 minutes a day or 10 minutes twice a day, partake in some kind of hobby or creative outlet whenever I can, modify/accommodate as necessary, get on with life as best I can, and another important one -- forgive myself.

Everything Ginnie said too.

Something I've been doing lately that helps is always having and working on some kind of project/task. Currently I'm working on a creative writing project, but recently I've done some personal productivity projects, and thinking about what to try to tackle next. I wouldn't exactly call them "chores" though that certainly works for some... whatever works! I try to pick something fun or interesting; the more absorbed I can get, the more distracting it is from the pain, so the less difficult (I never said "easy") it is for me to handle/cope.

Quote:
How do you ever plan your days?
Pretty much all of my plans, by necessity, are tentative. Like you say, some days are ok (for me), or start ok, and I never know for sure. Some parts of that I've gotten used to; others I probably won't ever get used to. One tyhing I have been able to accept, to some extent, is that I can't do a lot of things that I used to be able to do. Some of that is from pain, and some is from normal aging (the aging is harder for me to accept and cope with than the pain sometimes, but that's me).

So I guess, again, adapt, and do what I have to do.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. I don't know that there are any easy/simple answers for painees.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 06-23-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added thought
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-24-2012)