Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter Kristina View Post
Hello Everyone,
So very happy I found this forum.
I get headaches everyday.
They get so bad that I have to stay in bed in a dark room.
I have missed so many days of school because of this.
I just would like some advice on how to manage my pain.
If you are having headaches every day, that could be caused by a few different things: 1) shunt setting is incorrect, for you, 2) you live in an area that has a lot of rain and low pressure systems going thru, 3) you could have a blockage somewhere along your shunt. 4) The valve; itself; may not be functioning properly.

I wear sunglasses, inside and out. That may or may not help deal with the brightness. You may be photosensitive. Several of those of us who deal with hydrocephalus tend to be photosensitive when our shunts are acting up.

Get a prescription from your doc so you can wear sunglasses in class. Otherwise you may be asked to take them off. Explain that the sunglasses are needed to protect your eyes from the bright lights. Also, if you are around CFL's (Compact Fluorescent Lights), or regular fluorescent lights, see if there is any way to get them switched out to LED lights. Those are way easier on those of us who have hydrocephalus and are photosensitive. It has to do with the refresh rate (also known as the flicker). Those of us with hydrocephalus can also be prone epileptic seizures. Good luck
OldBaldGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote