View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
Okay,

I feel silly posting this since I posted a similar question 6 months ago, and never thought to read the Gabapentin literature to discover constipation occurs in 3.9% of folks. How luck I am being one of the few! Actually, I am more upset with my GI doc and my pain doc who never suggested this unlikely cause. Isn't that THEIR JOB?

As a refresher, I have idiopathic neuropathy of both feet and ankles, and have so far not found a mechanical or metabolic cause. But we'll keep searching...

These days I am on Gabapentin 1800mg/day, which is working well; ramped up over time from 100. 8 months after I hit 1500 mg/day I began with GI problems: reflux, upset stomach, bloating, burping. Now it is worse on 1800. Because I experienced this twice before in my life I immediately saw a GI doc.

I am now on Magnesium oxide and Amitiza to combat the constipation. They are doing well on the bloating but after a moderate sized meal things seem to linger in my GI track for hours with cramping and pressure.

Can folks recommend something else to help manage the constipation?
I am on gabapentin and I,too, experience constipation, bloating, feeling full after eating small amount of food. I counter this with Metamucil before bedtime, at least 2 hours after taking the gabapentin. It helps too to eat more veggies and I am on Kefir daily.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote