View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default clarify

I guess I am focusing on autologous stem cells (your own), where no money can be made from vectors, equipment, delivery means, growth factors, etc., because there aren't any. My understanding of this is that they take your cells, multiply and/or filter them, and put them back in your body. Placing them in your nose does not sound like especially complicated surgery, if it even qualifies as "surgery" at all. Most of the companies mentioned above that are doing this type of work involve growth factors (ceregene, for example) or a proprietary formula (neurologix), or equipment (DBS) which could generate substantial money if successful.

Like most, I understand the need for companies to be able to succeed. I just don't see them lining up for autologous stem cell research, much like the research into food-based treatments (curcumin is one) is minute compared to how much money, time, and brainpower is poured into drug-based treatments...or worse, me-too drugs.

Maybe autologous stem cells don't or won't work on the majority of PWP, or a big enough majority to justify companies putting time and money into the research. But a new treatment that might help some is better than nothing. And I don't think 35% is too tiny a number, that could represent a LOT of PWP who might be helped by this.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote