View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
If that new-fangled "internet" thing ever catches on, malls may become the new dustbowls/ghost towns. I hear someday people will be able to shop from the comfort of their own homes - just point and click, and stuff will miraculously show up at your door within a few weeks!

Doc
Doc, you got me with this one. Sometimes it feels like our cognitive function is that bad. Mine is intermittant and ever changing. There are a few days where I am really sharp. I always know my kids names (2 that I remember) but I am constantly forgetting the grandkids names and there are only four that I know of. Some days I know my complete address. Other days I may know my street address but don't know the state or city. When I take a memory index test, I just tell the doctor that I live in the state of confusion.

I never know who the vice president is, regardless of which administration it was. If I know I am going to be given the memory index, I find out who the VP is and write it on my hand as that is always asked. I remember THAT. When being accused of cheating, I remind the doctor that I have had cognitive therapy several times and that is considered an acceptable coping skill and that I deserve bonus points for remembering to write it on my hand.

Movies are a real hoot. There are some that are deeply inbedded in my longterm memory. Others, I have seen numerous times and have no recollection. This works out well as I can always find something that looks interesting on Netflix that I don't recall seeing before. I may not know what day of the week it is but am a terrific trivia buff. Go figure.

While problematic, we have to look for the humor in this thing. It is easy for me to say since I no longer work. While still working, I was constantly carrying a pad and pen and a tape recorder with me. That kept me out of trouble.

I was dxed with Fibro in 76 when it was called Fibrocytis and few doctors accepted it as a legit dx. That was problematic. We learn to live with it....around it. Eventually you will find coping skills for most of the problems. I have just started developing the autonomic issues and am having a hard time finding a sunny side of that.

I am going to work the coconut oil into the budget.......the good stuff. I know it is one of the healthier oils but don't remember reading that it had memory implications. Y'all have a good evening.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (08-12-2012), Kimmidwife (08-07-2012)