View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here and scared

Hi everyone,

I was in a near fatal car accident on May 14, 2012. A heroin addict driving highway speeds in a 30 zone went over the yellow lines and hit me head on. I was bleeding from my nose even though it wasn't broken (from my head hitting the steering wheel or airbag). I don't know/can't remember how I got out of the car. I had to have my spleen removed and my hand is broken in 2 places. I thought getting through the surgery and occupational therapy would be the worst of it and I could move on. But I have now been diagnosed with PCS and will be seeing a neurologist in 2 days.

I am an 8th grade English teacher and I was taking two online classes (which I have been told by a doctor to drop them). Every time I read something academically challenging or for my job I get extreme headaches. I call them "moving headaches" because they start in one spot and then move all around (top of head, base of skull, 2 spots where they back of my glasses press lightly against it, front of head, behind my eyes, etc). I have extreme fatigue and besides sleeping 12 hours a night, I also take naps during the day.

I just don't feel like my old self. I'm getting help for the PTSD. But when I go out for a walk with my husband and 15 month old son, I feel so ancient. I get tired and sore all over. It's been about 6 weeks from the accident and now I feel sore in my neck, back, and upper abdomen. I don't know why I hurt there now when I didn't for a month after the accident.

I worry about how this will effect the rest of my life. I used to be in excellent shape, health, etc. Working in a high pressure/stressful job is part of my identity. I worry I won't be able to handle it when I go back in the fall.

I feel angry a lot because I almost died, my car was totaled, and now I have PCS. Meanwhile the guy who did this to me was not injured, was underinsured, and is now driving a newly leased vehicle. The cops really dropped the ball big time in my case (but they are in the middle of a huge investigation for incompetency for other things). It's all just so frustrating.

Any tips for what I can do in the meantime besides "rest?" What can I expect at my first neurologist appointment?
PCSteacher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lightrail11 (06-26-2012)