View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSteacher View Post

I worry about how this will effect the rest of my life. I used to be in excellent shape, health, etc. Working in a high pressure/stressful job is part of my identity. I worry I won't be able to handle it when I go back in the fall.

I feel angry a lot because I almost died, my car was totaled, and now I have PCS.
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about the accident and it's certainly a justifiable anger since it wasn't your fault. That said, being angry won't change anything, and a negative emotional state may be detrimental to your emotional recovery.

I too had a near fatal accident, and I had to go through a lot of changes, physically, cognitively, emotionally. I also have a professional career that I was away from for six months.

I tried to always maintain my sense of hope and gratitude. I was grateful to still be alive, and for the surgeons, doctors, nurses and therapists who were there to enable my recovery. I remain grateful to family and friends who helped me recover. So I guess my suggestion for your “what can I do besides rest” question is to realize it could have been worse, realize you are early in your recovery, and people do recover. My neurosurgeon told me a few weeks after I was released from the hospital “I didn’t tell your family this the night of the accident, but I didn’t think you were going to make it”. Yet here I am, back to work, and looking forward to the rest of my life. Miracles in recovery indeed happen. I wish the very best to you as you continue your recovery journey.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (06-27-2012)