View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresadurkee View Post
Hello,

My mom had 2 anuerysms, one ruptured, 18 days ago. They were on the left side of her brain, so they were the most worried about physical and cognitive issues. She had a bad bleed. The surgeon said on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the worst bleed), that she was a 4. They weren't able to do the coil procedure because she had a vessel coming off the side of the anuerysm that had bled, so instead they did the clipping. It was a miracle she made it through the surgery. 2 days after surgery they were able to wake her and take her breathing tube out. Through the last 2 weeks, we mostly waited to get past day 14, since that was when the chance of vasospasms greatly reduced.She made it through those days with only minor spasms, and they were quickly treated with angiograms, so she never had a stroke or anything. Her feeding tube came out Saturday and her drain tube in her brain came out today. She is very strong, physically. She is able to walk on her own, at her normal speed, backwards, and with one foot in front of the other. However, she is very confused all the time. She talks about events that never happened, or acts like things 15-20 years ago are happening now. She sometimes sees people who aren't really there, thinks the grandkids are grown up (they are newborn-10yrs old), etc. On the hardest days she will cry and scream at us Beg us to take her home, tell us she wants to die, thinks she did something wrong, etc. She was an alcoholic when we were younger, but she has been sober for 19yrs now. Its almost like she thinks she was drunk and we committed her to a rehab center or something. It breaks my heart to see her cry. I know her mental state isn't good right now, but even if she is crying about something that isn't true or doesn't make sense, the pain is still real to her and that crushes me. She has been very confused like this for the last week and a half, and doesn't seem to get better. She has a few good days, and then a day or 2 of these anger/depression "fits." She has always recognized our dad (her husband), all of us kids, her mom and siblings, and all of the grandkids when she sees a picture or the person. I know we are still very early into recovery, and I am soo thankful to even have my mom. I will love her no matter what her recovery is, I just want her to be content and not soo sad and upset alot of the time. If anyone has been through something similar, is all this normal?? Is she doing good, average, or below average for what she has been through (bleeding, etc.)?? I don't know what to expect from here. Will they let her go home with all this confusion in her head? Will she need constant care at home?? Any advice would be appreciated soo much!!!!
I had a ruptured aneurysm 8 years ago, I recovered remarkably well considering and comparing at how others have faired, but I will say with any kind of brain damage whether it is small or extensive, that as a patient, you feel agitated and your short term memory loss is bad and your long term memory suddenly comes to life, it compensates. She will be all over the place for a long time yet but it WILL get better, and it will take a long time, years even, and even if she recovers well in the long run, it is a long haul and could be 5 years before she feels even 90% of her former self.
One thing I can say from a patients point of view is...its very frustrating accepting you may be limited in what activities you can do in future, that is the hardest part because your mind is willing but your body says no and you get angry wondering why this happened to you...for the most part Ive been ok health wise since, but at the moment Ive been having funny 'do's' and understandably worried, thats why I came on this site, for reassurance, coz you feel very alone with this silent killer...hope everything turns out well for you, prayers and thoughts with you
deb21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote