View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Mel,

jo55 has provided a lot of useful info. I will say that while most folks feel Firefox opens pages a bit faster, some find it a bit slower. I don't think speed is the main reason why most Firefox users love it.

First, Firefox is more secure. It is debatable how much this is due to the fact that most "bad stuff" is targeted at IE, but I do think that the consensus is that Firefox is built to be safer. This might not be too important for web users who are pretty conservative in their surfing - that is, they visit a forum or two, and then just other mainstream sites, do not visit or download from more questionable sites, etc.

Second, Firefox is infinitely customizable. When you first install it, you just get a basic configuration. It may be all some users need, but the vast majority install any number of "extensions." It is these add-on pieces that make each Firefox installation unique. You can add things that will do just a HUGE number of functions, many of them specialized for a particular site or task. This is what I love the best about the program - I am constantly adding and subtracting, as new extensions are created. BTW, these extensions are as easy as could be to install.

As jo55 indicates, it is at least worthwhile to download Firefox and install it. You will still be able to use IE. Use it for a bit and see what you think. There is no harm at all in just leaving it on your system if you end up not using it. Or just go to Add and Remove Programs and uninstall it.

One consideration: even if you really end up liking and using Firefox, do not remove IE from your system. You need it to do things like install Windows Updates and other Hotfixes (there are workarounds so that some folks do actually remove IE, but not recommended unless you are technically proficient).

As for AOL - it did supply a browser - I think a branded version of IE - but you could use your own. I can't imagine that has changed. So AOL users can use Firefox if they wish - perhaps after some minor adjustments.

rafi
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote