View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nerve damage due to chemical burn - looking for non-medicine options

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I have been looking around online a bit to see what options people use to manage their nerve pain and buzzing and only see medicine options. I received a 2nd/3rd degree burn to my sacral area on 11/30/11. The burn itself is healing okay, considering, but it's obviously damaged my nerves. I have increasing pain and buzzing on the bottom of my feet since I think March. The past week it's been much worse, and I'd be happy to chop off my legs about mid-thigh. I've been stressed at work, so I'm guessing that's part of the increase, but I don't know for sure obviously. From the nerve maps I've looked at, the s4-s5 areas are mostly affected. It seems when I'm more relaxed or have no pressure on my feet I feel it more. I feel like I'm standing on pop rocks sometimes, other times a tens unit.

I go to the neurologist next week. I *know* he's going to try to give me meds. There was an anti-seizure med that the doc who burned me recommended (yes, got burned during surgery) and it looked awful. I'm very sensitive to drugs.

When I first was burned I was put on Oxycontin. It wasn't a ton, a few a day (I actually used under the rec. dosage), but when I tried to not take one about 10 days out I went into full withdrawal mode with huge shakes and everything. I had to wean off it, which took about 6 weeks. I can see why and how people get addicted to it (awesome high, horribly addictive).

I currently have a prescrip for xanax that I take very rarely, it's a small amount and is just dealing with the PTSD. I also have a prescrip for pot, and my regular doc wants me to use that before the xanax, but obviously I can't do that at work. I've used the xanax at work, but only 1/2 a pill towards the end of the day if I'm totally spazzing out, but haven't tried it for this yet (should I?).

Too much ibuprofen will upset my stomach. Most things I take for pain either barely work if at all (like valium, doesn't do a thing), or they make me sick (ultram was horrible).

From what I've read, it's probable the pain will get worse. Hopefully not, but I have to be a realist with this. Expect the worst and hope for the best. Has anybody here ever dealt with the nerve damage caused by a burn?

Is there anything I can do on my own to help this? I'd love to not have to work and be able to destress, take the time to heal mentally, but I don't have that privilege. I'm the breadwinner and my husband is a SAHD (of a very difficult child). I find exercising hard because of joint issues. It's only gotten worse with the injury. I do not have access to a pool. I do not have much money either, although some doc appts have been covered because my lawyer has made arrangement to be paid after the settlement comes through. I'm done being poked and prodded as well, and don't look forward to going to see the neurologist next week.
chaos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote