View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Frustrating visit at SSA office-round 2

I had to go into my local SSA office to drop off my documentation about how much money my kids have received, how much we spent on them, and how much we saved.

I added a few pages of addendums to explain how the money was spent because it was a large(r) amount of money and I was concerned they would think it odd that none of it was saved.

I did a quick accounting of a few of their expenses for that year and explained that a large amount of the money went to repaying a loan that I took from my parents for my kids' expenses in past years. Each of my boys SHOULD have been receiving $472 per month from SSDI, but they only got $66 a month......for 7 years. The end of the accounting year in question, SSDI finally started paying the correct amount and sent a large back pay check for each child. I used it to repay my parents who had loaned me the difference.

The lady at SSA made a face at my addendum forms and had a LOT to say about that being "not necessary", "not really allowed", she doesn't know "how to file this", "no one does this", "we don't want to know all this", and "you should just take this back, it shouldn't be attached."

Then she looked at my form, at the amount received (which included the large 7 year back pay amount), sees that none is saved, looks APPALLED, and says "How could you POSSIBLY have spent all of that and saved NOTHING ?"

Well.....that explanation is on the addendums you just told me NOT to attach !

Ugh !

A half an hour of banging my head against the wall would have been less painful than this visit !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote