View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
I found myself asking this same question several months back. I have used Country Life dibencozide for quite some time, but I didn't want the folic acid that went with it.

I have worked hard trying to just take methylfolate in lieu of folic acid which appears in many foods and supplements.

I found this B complex which works very well for me:

Douglas labs B complex with Metafolin

http://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/200765.pdf

I take this once a day along with vitamin C, D3 and and gamma E. It provides a suitable dose of methyfolate along with the B vitamins in good forms. I do take additional B12 than what this product has but it does contain methyl B12 (not B12 cobalamin) which is a bonus.
Thank you! Have only used the Country Life dibencozide with folic acid for about a week now, but so far I like it! My appetite has been very strong this week. I don't know if it's from the dibencozide itself, from having been on methylB12 for almost three months now (not quite, but getting close), or if it's from increased activity lately.

I do worry about folate sometimes, not as much as I worried about B12 though. My folate always tests high, but as Mrs D says, this doesn't say if the folate in my blood is building up because it's not being utilized properly or what % is methylated folate or folic acid, unable to be methylated.

I remember posting a while back about how my homocysteine is low. MrsD remarked that that's a good sign that I'm properly methylating these vitamins.

Regarding B supplements in general, I can't really take a B complex. At least not at this point in my life. Coming off antidepressants has left my nervous system in an uproar, and Bs can be super stimulating in general. I had a hard enough time getting on B12 due to the high energy and swinging in the beginning. Also I am concerned about my recent B6 test which was high. As a result I'm not taking any multivitamin, which is a shame because I do like the "insurance" of multivitamins. I wish I could find one that doesn't contain the Bs! That way I could individually take the Bs I want to take and need to take (even though it would be a pain and possibly a lot of pills).

This is all I take now:

Fish oil pills (3 @ 1200 mg/ea)/ day (for the Omega 3)
Vitamin D3 (2 @ 2000 IU/ea)/day (for vitamin D deficiency - yikes!)
Vitamin B12 (every other day alternate between 5000mcg methyl and 3000mcg adenosyl/dibencozide w/200mg folic acid) - sublinguals on empty stomach under the tongue then wash down with water.
Sometimes I take 1000mg of biotin (B7) every few days or so, as an extra kick for hair/nails and energy
I've considered looking into niacinamide (b3) but am gonna leave that on the back burner for now.

I know my thiamine (B1) level is "good" (first, not-so-friendly neurologist tested that and I got a phone confirmation that it's in range). Don't know my B2, niacin (B3), B5. B6 was high. B7 (don't know/doesn't matter), Folate is always high, B12 "high" (last tested 1844! - am happy with this, though, thanks to advice of MrsD and others I read on here). These Bs seem hard to regulate!
julleri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote