Thread: Chiari
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Chiari

Hello everyone! I am 33 years old and happily married to my wonderful husband of 17 years and we have 3 beautiful kids together. I finally broke down and decided to join a forum for Arnold Chiari Malformation type I. I was diagnosed with Chiari in 2008 only because I had a grand-mal seizure on Christmas day in 2008. It was an accidental finding so kinda glad I had the seizure. I've always had the symptoms ever since I remember. Headaches, ringing in the ears, clumsiness and neck pain. Since 2008, I have been fine. Went on remission for a few years until recently. Last year I started experiencing extreme fatigue. Had nighttime and daytime sleep study done. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and extreme idiopathic hypersomelence (uncontrolled daytime sleepiness). Was prescribed ritalin. A few months ago, I started experiencing a lump in my throat. Waited for a month to see if it'll go away, but didn't. Recently had an upper GI endoscopy done and they performed a esophageal dilation and took a biopsy. GI doctor said that everything looked normal and that I have possible acid reflux. This Monday, a few day after the endoscopy, I started experiencing pain in esophagus and chest area when I eat and swallow. Very painful. Anytime I drink or eat, I have excessive burping and gas (excuse my language) and stomach pain. I just came back from an upper GI exam with barium. Radiologist found no tear in the esophagus but possible esophageal reflux. I am discouraged. Not discourage on the fact that nothing was found, discouraged that I don't feel right anymore. The funny thing is that I am the healthiest and the fittest I have ever been in my life in the past 6 months. Lost 20 pounds and went from a size 6 to a size 0-2. I work out at least 3 times a week. But now, I am having all these problems. I'm on 4 different medications and I hate that. Is anyone having the same symptoms as me? I don't know what to do anymore...I just want to give up on the docs and say forget about it.
hawleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (06-29-2012)