View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sleep deprivation is well understood. Your PCS is a common cause of both insomnia and improper sleep that does not cause your brain to restore. You can sleep and not get the benefit of the sleep if your brain does not go through the REM cycle.

I take gabapentin to help my brain relax so I can get good sleep. I also need to have something to eat before going to sleep. A banana, bread with peanut butter, crackers and cheese, and other snacks will energize my brain so I can sleep properly. It makes all the difference to how I sleep.

I also need to prepare to sleep by wearing pajamas that have no odd tactile sensations. No tags, no cold spots, soft warm sheets, and even some place for my hands to be warm and cozy. The injured brain struggles to ignore these very minor sensations.

Finding the right environment and soothing sensations to help you sleep will make a big difference.

When I get good REM sleep, I can wake up alert and alive. If I do not get good sleep, it will not matter how much I try to sleep. I will still be fatigued.

I hope you can find what works for you.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rochbo (06-30-2012)