View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gretchen,

Just some FYI in case you were wondering ..... I'm not a dentist but have been in the dental profession for 35 yrs .... my posts here are factual and <blantantly> honest.

It is common for the roots of an upper posterior tooth, like tooth #3, to be very close to the sinus. It is also common for an infected tooth to infect the sinuses. A long term sinus infection can lead or contribute to infections further into the head. SO it is never a good idea to have a chronic infection that can spread like that.

ALL root canaled teeth are infected irrelevant of how many times they are treated. It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the infected, necrotic nerve material that resides inside of the microscopic canals. This bacteria will continue to proliferate beyond the tooth into the sinus and further. The tenderness that you feel beside your nose, cheek and eye on the right side is commonly seen with infected upper molars. It just shows how far the inflammation has spread from the infection. The fact is... the only way to rid a tooth of an infection is to remove the source of the infection which is .... the tooth.

With regard to the extractions..... endodontists do not routinely perform extractions. If it were me, I would consult an oral surgeon to remove both of those teeth and discuss replacement options with him so he can possibly preserve the socket for the possible placement of implants in the future. That doesn't mean you have to have the implants, it just means that he can prepare the sites now in case that is what you decide to do later on.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bryanna

QUOTE=gdmcor;892947]I am certainly glad I found this site.
Bryanna, I've been reading many posts and your responses seem right on to me. I'm hoping you can help me.

I have infections in tooth #3 and an abscess, infection, in tooth 31. Both of them have had a root canal. I have an app. with an endodontist on July 11th to extract tooth 31 and to retreat tooth 3.

After reading some posts here, I'm not feeling too confident about the retreat in tooth 3. In fact, I was leaning towards extraction of it before talking to the endodontist. He is a different one than who did the original root canals.

The infection in number 3 has been giving me sinus pain by my nose, cheek and right eye. I have to get a crown on my back tooth, right by it, and after getting the temp, this pain was pronounced.

I also now believe that an oral surgeon should do both extractions, but this endodontist was very nice in offering to do the #31 extraction. Do you think I should get an opinion from an oral surgeon or perhaps see if this endo would do both extractions?

I really want someone you knows a lot about sinus issues with extractions, since #3 is already causing problems in this area.

I do believe my overall health would improve after these infections are gone, as I have MS and infections make that condition worse.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Gretchen[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote