View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman52 View Post
i am bone to bone on L5 S1
Hi Rick,

I concur with Ginnie's comments. I'll add that using donor material from your own hip ostensibly avoids issues of rejection or reaction to synthetics. That call is dependent on many factors (age, health, bone condition, etc.) including the experience/skill of the surgeon.

I've got bone on bone in that same location, and others in my neck (c5-c7).

I can appreciate your apprehension. My surgeon advised against surgery for me and recommended pain management instead. He said the body always tries to heal itself, and in time, the bones should fuse naturally. The issue of statistics with this kind of surgery (Failed Back Syndrome) also entered into his opinion and my decision.

However, each person (and their spines) are individual cases, and should be evaluated independently (by multiple opinions). There are good reasons for electing surgery and good reasons for declining. It's an individual/personal decision, and we're here for you either way.

This is a good place to ask about what happens afterward... Many folks have been through it -- some more than once. It also might be prudent to touch base with the hospital's Patient Advocate ahead of time to get a handle on what to expect (as well as here) and what they can do for you if needed.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-30-2012)