View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julleri View Post
... numb patch of skin on my left leg. It's on the side of my thigh. I don't know quite how long it's been numb. I'd say at least 4 months, maybe longer. I don't know if it's spreading or not, either.

Question is - can this be from low B12? I've had a host of unusual neuropsychiatric stuff going on with me. The neurologist I saw (the most recent, and the one I liked better of the two I saw) didn't say anything of it, but I did give him a LONG, as he put it "laundry list that could not be any one thing." He was also well aware of my B12 issue and knows how my levels are back up. Also said doesn't think I have a neurological disease. So, it must be B12? Can a deficiency in this vitamin cause numb patches of skin? Will it get better over time, or could it be a permanent patch of "dead nerves"?

I realize we aren't doctors. Just wondering if anyone would know or had something similar. I'm thinking it's from the B12...

Thank you!
I'm sure my primary cause of PN was due to nutritional defiencies caused by taking prilosec for over a decade. Prilosec can cause drops in B12, folate, magnesium, iron and calcium. Now after stopping the prilosec and taking these nutrients I've been slowly on the mend.

I have a recent story about a numb patchy area on my right thigh. I was working on a new raised vegetable garden this Spring and did a lot of heavy lifting, digging, etc. I built it into a hill to get better drainage than my old spot. After 3 days of hard work I was finished. Right about that time I noticed a moderately numb patch of skin on my right thigh. Went to the chiro and he adjusted my sore back. Now about 6 weeks later it is about 30% better. I 'm virtually certain the cause is a compressed nerve. Seems like I have had more compression issues since being diagnosed with PN. Quite often I wake up in the morning with numb fingers due to lying in a certain position for too long. I stand up and it goes away literally in seconds.

Patchy numbness is scary, but in my case I know the reason was too much stress on my back lifting stone and dirt. Nerve compression might be something to think about in your case.
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
julleri (06-30-2012), Nervous (06-30-2012)