View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gretchen,

I do not want to scare you, but your endodontist has hugely misinformed you if he said.... << I was also worried about the infection spreading further from tooth #3. I asked the endo about this and he said that upper canine tooth infections could spread to the brain, but not back molars. >>

ALL maxillary (upper) molars.... typically canines/incisors/..... and in some people even their upper anterior teeth are located very close, if not in direct contact with the sinuses. The pathology associated with oral infections is complicated, so here's the short version. When an infection proliferates (spreads) through the root of a maxillary tooth (as it eventually does in root canaled and/or non root canaled abscessed teeth) it can easily enter the sinuses. The brain is only about three inches from the tooth roots and a dental infection from a tooth abscess can spread to the brain through the veins in the head.

Some other serious systemic problems that can occur from any tooth abscess are.....

Swelling severe enough to close off the airway..... Coma from septicemia of the brain..... Endocarditis (inflammation of the heart) caused by the bacteria as it attaches itself to the inside of the heart where it grows and can cause permanent heart damage...... Pneumonia if the bacteria enter the lungs.

An infected tooth is NEVER something that should be ignored or dealt with on your own. They always require professional intervention. Endodontic treatment cannot "cure" the infection and that is not disputed in the dental community .... that procedure is done to "retain" the <infected> tooth as in "buy time" until it is extracted. The problem with "retaining" an infected tooth are ALL of the complications that I've posted above. Every patient should also be informed that the replacement of an infected tooth, especially if the infection has been present for a long time, can be complicated due to the deterioration of the jawbone from the bacteria.

Thanks for your reply to my post.... please don't be scared, just listen to your instincts and gut feeling on this... please do keep us posted.

Bryanna

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmcor View Post
Thank you, Bryanna; from reading the posts, I knew you weren't a dentist, but sometimes nurses know as much or more than doctors, too.

I was also worried about the infection spreading further from tooth #3. I asked the endo about this and he said that upper canine tooth infections could spread to the brain, but not back molars. I hope that's at least true!

However, I don't want to wait months to see if a retreat helps with the infection, and from what you've said, it won't help at all.

I am going to call an oral surgeon on Monday and make an appointment for a consultation. I want these teeth removed yesterday!

I will keep you posted and appreciate your time!
Gretchen
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote