View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thinners not working?

Just in response to "no need to be on blood thinners"...am wondering if anyone out there knows if some of us are so occluded that maybe the thinners aren't gonna' work or work very well? No DR has said, but it's been over a month and my Warfarin sure is taking a long time to reach therapeutic range. I'm still out of range and gettin' real tired of having to do injections. If it's a mechanical problem that caused the clots and I haven't had surgery for it, then it makes sense I would just keep producing clots (and they have keep adding more & more thinner)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmanisport View Post
Wow- if your Dr is giving you the option of rib removal and vein patch vs go off blood thinners and see if a new clot forms- I personally would do the rib removal and vein patch, based almost completely on the fact that there is extensive damage to your vein. From what I understand, if you dont get the rib removal, the vein will continue to get even more damaged. BUT keep in mind I'm not a Dr, I'm just another patient suffering with Pagett Schroetter just like you

Please, if I were you, I'd go get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from Drs. that deal with Thorasic Outlet and Pagett Schroetter on a regular basis.

When my clot was discovered, the ER doc was totally baffled- said he never saw or heard of a DVT in the upper extremity. Put me on Lovenox and Coumadin and told me to go to a hematologist. Now that months have gone by with misdiagnosis, and I finally have my correct diagnosis of Paget Schroetter (thanks to the venogram that should have been ordered months ago) I too wonder how much damage has been done to the vein and if its even reparable. I have had one opinion so far and have two more set up. They are all with vascular surgeons that specialize in TOS and PS.

Also, my vascular Dr said to me there is no reason I should be on blood thinners at this point because the clot is due to occlusion from the rib, not thick blood. I decided myself to just keep taking them anyway- to be on the safe side (if that even makes sense) at this point I dont even know anymore.
starfish43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote