View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to Neurotalk:

MP typically only affects the lateral femoral sensory nerve. This can be compressed in the upper thigh(tight jeans/clothing) or arise from damage in the abdomen (surgery or trauma) or in the lumbar region compression at L4 or L5 (people genetically vary where this nerve splits off the spine--tight belts or sitting on a hip pocket with a wallet may compress at this location).
People donating bone marrow, in the hip, sometimes have damage to this nerve.

A bilateral problem like you describe suggests the spine, or very tight jeans compressing your groin area.

Other sensations imply compression of other nerves.
MP typically is only on the front and lateral thigh and ends at the knee.

Here is a link with a diagram:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0401/p2109.html

I have found that HEAT will trigger mine. Cold is preferred. So if you go in hot tubs, or steam rooms, beware. Mine developed from a C-section, 31 yrs ago. It is now in remission which I luckily developed using Lidoderm patches on my upper thigh where the nerve exists the abdomen.

Figure 2B illustrates the lateral femoral sensory nerve clearly, at the link in this post.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote