View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terralyn View Post
Do you limp? My right ankle and foot are the affected areas and I definitely walk with a limp and it's gotten worse over time. Within the last 6 months I started having hip pain in my left hip that shoots down the front of my thigh. The doctor says its from limping and has done one injection into the hip. I am scheduled for another one next week. Anyone else have suggestions to help with this?
Terralyn; I can most definitely relate. The injections you are getting can help, but they likely won't give you lasting results. You have to address the root cause and attack that.

I developed CRPS in my right foot in 2008. Because of the "altered gait", over time I developed problems in my right hip and also all the way down from the hip to the knee (iliotibial band).

It became quite bothersome and I used a physical therapist to get it under control (after a steroid injection by my orthopedic doctor).

After quite a few sessions with the physical therapist, he taught me the proper exercises to keep my hip strong, which is the key. When I went to the PT, he diagnosed me with having "significant atrophy" (weakness) because of the altered gait.

So twice a day I do exercises for the hip area and actually the entire lower body. I do a comprehensive exercise/self-therapy session in the morning and a shorter session later in the day. It helps TREMENDOUSLY. in fact, I'm getting ready for my morning therapy session right now!

The other thing to consider is chiropractic. Because of the altered gait, my leg length is often not the same. The chiropractor performs spinal and pelvic adjustments and then performs ultrasound on the hip and iliotibial band.

Between chiropractic and the PT I perform on myself, I've been able to "control it" and I feel so very much better than I did.

So consider Physical Therapy and Chiropractic! They've been a godsend for me. Hope this helps!
birchlake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
visioniosiv (03-24-2014)