View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow. Sorry to hear this. It is not the first we have heard of someone having this sort of reaction to agonists. We cannot really tell you what to do obviously as few of us have MDs; however, based on extensive reading of medical case studies and our experiences, it is very dangerous to stop any PD med too quickly. They need to be tapered down very slowly and imho should require close monitoring to the point of hospitalization (think Methadone). This will never happen because it means doctors admitting that our treatment is highly addictive.

That being said, when I have come off to quickly, I go back on the drug at the lowest level that makes me feel closest to normal. I take that level for 3-4 days, then try to go down to next lower dosage. If I get withdrawal symptoms, I plateau until I lower and have no adverse reaction. It is all about being mindful of what your body is telling you. And repeat until I am off and not freaking out.

One thing that really concerns me...not sure how old your mom is, but agonists trigger hallucinations and psychotic episodes in older people, so Sinemet is the standard line of treatment in later onset PD.

Dopamine Agonists and their risk to induce psychotic episodes in Parkinson's disease: a case-control study

If you are adement on no drugs, which I can't blame you, try dopa enhancing foods and supplements like fava beans, bananas, etc. see article

http://www.livestrong.com/article/84...ine-naturally/

Also, there is a natural alternative to Sinemet (levodopa/carbidopa) called Mucuna Pruriens. It is native to India and used there for thousands of years to treat PD. Clinical studies show it superior in some ways than Sinemet. It is capsule form, so it would be very easy to test at low dosages to see if it helps.

Please let us know how it goes.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote