View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hope they will give you treatment besides the Mestinon and the possible thymectomy! There are drugs to suppress your over-active immune system. There are gentler but slower drugs like Imuran and Cellcept, and there's also Prednisone, which can have bad side effects but could be well worth it for you, since your symptoms are so severe.

Trouble swallowing is a medical emergency, and more than justifies IVIg or plasmapheresis! These are very effective treatments for MG. IVIg involves three to five days of antibody infusions (through an IV. It takes about four hours a day and it can be done at home). I've heard MG patients refer to it as "the magic juice"--it works extremely well for a lot of people, though it wears off after about six weeks. There are people here who have it every six weeks. It makes a huge difference for them.

If you are twitching so much on the Mestinon, ask your neuro if you can try a smaller dose. Twitching probably means you're taking too much. Too much Mestinon can make you weaker. You might find it works much better if you take less (but ask your doctor first).

Now that you finally have a diagnosis, I hope you can get some of the very effective treatments that are out there.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote