View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default VA shunt/headaches

My 14 year old son had a conversion from a VP shunt to a VA shunt about a month ago. He continues to have headaches. Can you tell me the things you have done to "get used to doing what you have to do to make yourself comfortable"??

He is taking Topamax which really does nothing to help with his headaches. Is there a medication you take? Have the headaches ever gotten so bad that you throw up or have vision problems? What do your doctors say about the chronic headaches?

Thanks so much for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
When I was one month old, my original neurosurgeon placed a VA shunt. It worked swimmingly until I was 16. He then replaced it with another VA shunt. That worked for another 12 yrs. My next neurosurgeon placed a VP shunt and redid the valve (because it was the wrong valve he originally placed, two weeks later). That shunt lasted 2 yrs. I had shunt revisions every yr for 10 yrs, due to one issue or another. My last revision was 2007.

VA shunts are safe. They don't go *directly* into the heart. The tubing connects up to the Superior Vena Cava. VP Shunts are just another way to place the shunt tubing, that has become popular since the late '70's and early '80's.

You son could be dealing with an issue that happens after numerous shunt revisions called "Slit Ventricle Syndrome" or SVS. The setting of his shunt valve may be incorrect, for his current condition. I have dealt with SVS for the last 20+ yrs. It's a drag, but one gets use to what to do to make oneself comfortable.

Good Luck.
pedalpusher62 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote