View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Child faint after head injury

My son first injury was when he fall off the monkey bars at school. He hurt his ankle and was put on crushes. A couple days after being put on crushes he was out with me at a store and slipped and fall backwards and hit his head on the hard floor. He hurt his neck,back and hit the back of his head. With that injury he had the peeing on his self not knowing it,headaches, vision problems,balance problems, and terrible personality changes.

Second injury came about a month later. He fell backwards again out of a bar stool and knocked his self unconscious for a while. not sure how long he was out, but when he came to he was screaming my name. He had a big knot on the back of his head. A day later he started having seizures. He was admitted into the hospital and had a 24hr EEG normal, MRI normal. So they said it was psychogenic. My son never had a problem before he hit his head. NO kind of psych issues at all. Now he is fainting. He will tell you that he feels a little weird before hand. He's only out a couple mins and he feels weird afterwards. He always says it feel like something is moving in his head. I not sure what that mean. I have not done the BP thing. But, thinks for suggesting that because now I will go get one.
I would like a helmet for him. But I don't know where to get one.

Thanks a lot for responding. Please keep sending your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am so sorry to hear of another youngster dealing with concussions.

How do you know he is fainting rather than seizing? An EEG is not as reliable as many think. The inconsistent seizures often will not manifest on an EEG.

How is his blood pressure and pulse? Does it drop to low levels? Do you have a home BP test kit? Sometimes, the autonomic nervous system malfunctions allowing the BP and pulse to drop very low. It can be caused by an upper neck injury that causes inflammation that interrupts the nerve signals to the heart.

Symptoms like these will likely take a lot of observing him by you. The doctors can only schedule a test. You can see the situation before and after one of these events.

If he continues to fall, ask if he can wear a portable EEG and pulse Ox to help determine what is happening. How long does it take for him to regain consciousness?

Does he relate any feeling he has just before and after these episodes?

You may want to have him wear a helmet until you get these episodes under control. Adding more impacts to an injured brain will only make it worse.

How did he get hurt each time? Maybe something from his injury is being missed.

My best to you.

Last edited by mrsD; 07-02-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: fixing quote tags for clarity
canina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (07-08-2012)