View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwrm View Post
They are multiple, the worst is in my feet, burning, zinging electric shocks, numness in my toes and the balls of my feet. I also have mild symptoms in my hands, burning, not real numbness just a mild asleep feeling. Always worse at night so I can't sleep. Walking is very painful, I work at home so I spend most of my time in bedroom slippers. I don't go back to the doctor until Aug, but I do follwo up with my oncologist in July so I will discuss with him. Colon Cancer in 2009, no chemo to account for the PN
I'm in the same situation. Took the doctors two years to figure out what was wrong with me. If you don't have diabetes, they get confused. I quit drinking too, months back. Get a nerve conduction test with the neurologist.

The doctors will tell you that because you have toxic neuropathy, there's basically nothing they can do for the pain, but they'll try different things on you. I was under the impression I couldn't get any relief, but I take tramadol and neurontin together about two-three times a day and it helps numb the pain a lot. Not 100%, but it makes a big difference for me. I thought I was gonna be a disability case until I started taking those two. From what I understand, the tramadol is a synthetic pain blocker - some people say it's addictive, but I don't feel much other than it helps stifle the pain in my feet. Neurontin keeps the nerves from firing all the time, which will get rid of the stinging and stabbing pains. These are both non-narcotic, so you're less likely to become dependent on them. I take hydrocodone (vicodin) every once in awhile when the nerves are super-irritated or I really need some sleep.

Get a hold of those two medications AS SOON AS YOU CAN, and take them together. That's my free advice. I'm getting ready to start hitting the vitamins once I move to Florida - this week.
Brue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote