View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I would like to know how you tested for "drugs"?
I am not meaning illegal drugs...I am talking about Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, Flagyl, Tindamax, statins, and Zyvox, being used now, recently or in the past.

Oh, I see (I was thinking more supplements, vitamins, etc) I've actually never taken any of the ones you mention above, except cipro, a long time ago and very short term(UTI 2 times). That was over 5 years ago and they never gave me any symptoms. Either way, it wouldn't matter, because you can't test for any of these. I don't take/ never took any drugs, because I was always healthy, until this.

Also solvents from hobbies, or the workplace, or even the solvents that fume out of dry cleaned clothes, have been implicated in PN. Gardeners, who use pesticides and herbicides also have risks. Outgassing formaldehyde is also problematic in new buildings and homes.

Well, I don't have new home/bldg. don't dry clean, no exposure to chemicals from hobbies/ work(stay at home), don't have garden. I am really chemical conscious in products and food.

There are over 100 causes of PN ... the trick is to find yours.
When all is said and done, if you have dorsal root damage, there may not be much you can do about it. (until the research catches up with it).

And wouldn't dorsal root damage show up on EMG/ NCV?

Yes autoimmune neuropathy may be treated with disease modifiying drugs..(DMARDS). IVIG and Rituxan are expensive last resorts.
Some of our posters have Sjogren's syndrome, and struggle with that.
Not all autoimmune suppressing drugs work well, however.
But if someone has autoimmune related neuropathy (ex: sjogrens, cidp, mmn, etc), why would they use IVIG/ Rituxan as last resort, when it would potentially stop their progression? What else is there, aside from IVIG/ Rit.? I just don't see why this would not be the first form of treatment to see a response, and even using IVIG as a diagnostic tool, to see if indeed it is a autoimmune triggered neuropathy?

Thanks!
anabanana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote